These Rawtill4-style High Carb Low Fat oven fries are epic to say at least. They’re crispy, crunchy and for reals taste like the deep-fried ones. The secret is in the spiced cornmeal coating and in the baking time (admittedly, you have to be a little patient to achieve the best result). Bae and I enjoy a really big portion of these every Sunday, our self-proclaimed ‘movies, fries and PJs’ night. And on Mondays, we look forward to the next Sunday 😉
We use about 750 grams of potatoes per person. Yes that’s a lot. And no, they won’t make you fat. Not if you’re not consuming any high fat or highly processed sauces with them at least. I highly recommend that you use organic potatoes, since potatoes are one of the most contaminated produce by pesticide use.
I do use a bit of coconut oil in this recipe to protect the fries from sticking to the pan, but if you’re very strict about no fat, you can go without the coconut oil of course.
Serves 1 person (2 persons when eaten as a side dish)
750 grams organic potatoes
2 tablespoons of cornmeal
1 teaspoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder (or 1 clove fresh garlic)
½ a tablespoon of extra vierge coconut oil (optional)
sea salt to taste
– Preheat oven at 200C (390F)
– Line your baking tray with baking paper.
– Peel and cut potatoes into fries.
– Wash potatoes to remove a bit of the starch.
– Pat dry the potatoes with a clean tea towel or paper towels, this will make them extra crunchy.
– Mix the cornmeal with paprika powder, garlic powder and sea salt.
– Put the potatoes in a bowl, add coconut oil and the cornmeal mixture.
– Mix well using your hands until fries are evenly coated.
– Transfer fries to the baking tray and bake them for about 1:15 hours, flipping them half way.
Yes, that’s a long wait when you’re hungry, so you might wanna plan ahead!
With Love from the Happy Earth Kitchen